Samba Winter Retreat, June 2019
What is it?
For several years the WA Samba drumming community have come together for a fun filled weekend of drum, dance, games, and general stuff and nonsense known as the Winter Retreat. Daytimes are mostly about samba drumming – coming together to learn and play new and old rhythms, and single instrument sessions to develop technique.. but there is always down time for other shenanigans too.
Evenings often have a choice of activities depending on where the mood takes us – dance, African drumming, community singing, films, challenges, or just chilling out over a wine or two have all featured in the past. One thing we’ve learned is to expect the unexpected – it’s often the impromptu stuff which has been the most fun. Tickets available here: trybooking
Who is it for?
Old, new (and often lapsed!) members of the samba drum community in WA. Every year around half the people who come are first-timers, so even if you’ve only just started playing, do not worry – we throw in lots of activities designed to help people get to know each other.
We draw on the vast range of skills, talents, and general ability of our incredible drumming community to amuse, amaze, and entertain ourselves and each other. If you have a hidden talent, a great group game or any ideas for activities – we would love to know.
When is it?
Long weekend in June, starting Friday evening and going to Monday morning. It doesn’t matter if you can’t stay the whole long weekend – come for as long as you can.
Where is it?
In 2018 the retreat is only for SAMBANISTAS members and is at Fairbridge, details will be given to members.
The price is around $100 for the 3 nights.
Tickets are available here: trybooking
No two retreats are the same. To give you an idea here’s things that have featured previously:
Night walks, fire pits, fire twirling, a ‘blind’ trail, African djembe drums, egg shakers, mass ukulele challenge, mass acoustic sets on guitars, mass kazoo challenge, mandolin (even a trombone once), lagerfone making, Indian dancing, clogging, salsa, tango, Jive, belly dancing (seriously – the guys that had a go were awesome!), junk percussion – who knew buckets, saucepans, metal teapots, or pool chlorine bouckets made great instruments ??), Name that Curry, Tim Tam Challenge, Festival of Fur, Ninja statues, the ‘cup game’, Portuguese phrases, quiz nights, snare and tam technique workshops etc….
In 2018 the retreat is only for SAMBANISTAS members.
Things we had in previous years:
- AKWAABA presented a djembe workshop
- Junk percussion will be back – a HUGE hit in previous years
- Rambo led a participation workshop after dinner each night
- RIO Treat theme Saturday night (dress up encouraged but if you don’t fancy feathers and sequins… choose a character beginning with an R an I or an O).
- The Bassonovas had two exciting showcases in store.
- Maureen is back by popular demand with her delicious relaxation session.
- Brazilian food!
Never been before? Details will be forthcoming closer to the time, but be well-advised to expect anything!
- Accommodation at Gilwell is in bunk bed dorms (most rooms sleep 6), plus huge hall with open fire, kitchen and dining room block, ablution block
- Lunch and dinner on Saturday and Sunday will be provided – help to prepare, it is greatly appreciated. Tea, coffee, milk, margarine and bread also provided
- Bring own breakfasts, snacks and Fri eve meal
- Price is $100.00 per head – regardless of how many nights you stay. Stay all weekend or for as long as you can
- Partners are welcome
And here’s a few YouTube links..